Saturday, March 17, 2012

Deep Regret Part 1

  Dear Grandson,

 I hope your mom and dad will read this to you. From these words, I hope you will be able to see what my America was like. I deeply regret the way She has changed.

Today it has become painfully clear that when I am gone this America will not be the same America that your papa grew up in. I remember quite clearly my time at your age. I was pretty carefree much like you. I enjoyed exploring and learning new things. I know you have lots of friends but I am not sure you have that best friend yet. I did. His name was Pat. Your papa did everything he could with him. We were inseparable. Where you saw one the other was close by. We spent the night at each others house. We slept in a tent  in the yard. We played baseball and football. We built a fort in our backyard. We did so much I can hardly remember them all.

Our favorite thing was going to the movies. We lived in town and were only about 8 blocks from the movie theater. So, Pat and I would walk all the way downtown to the movies and stay all Saturday afternoon. Then we would walk home. In today's America, your parents, Nana and I are afraid to let you do that. Our towns aren't the same as then. There are people who like to hurt children so we have to watch out for them and protect you when we can, and all the time trusting God to watch over you.

We used to pray in school then. Nobody was offended or thought it was a bad thing until this woman didn't like it and filed a court case. She won and we couldn't pray in school anymore. We said the pledge of allegiance each morning, but now there are those that want to take that our to school because it has a phrase that says "Under God".

People, at least those I was around, were more considerate. For example, if someone wanted to smoke, they would ask your permission. If they accidentally said a bad word they would say excuse me or I'm sorry (especially if women or children were present). It was important that children be taught respect all adults. Everything was closed on Sunday except hospitals and fire stations and police. We didn't have restaurants open to go and eat in after church like we do today.

But somehow things began to change and the society and culture of our country began transforming. I was still young so I didn't know it was happening. (end of part 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment